September 9, 2009

Texts:
Judges 3-4
I Corinthians 4

Judges
Are you again noticing the different perspective of Judges, as compared to Joshua?
In 3:2, war is explained as being necessary so that people who had no experience of war would learn about it, ostensibly so they could then have a chance to obey God in the midst of war. Perhaps I'm reading this wrong. What do you think?

I'll be preaching about these two chapters on Sunday, so I'll save most of my comments for then.

I Corinthians:
Have you noticed the parental imagery in this letter? In chapter 3, Paul "fed you with milk", which is a maternal/nursing sort of image. In chapter 4, he calls them his children and refers to himself as their Father. What does this family language mean for you?

2 comments:

  1. In Judges 3:2 I read more about 'learning to rely on God for deliverance' rather than 'learning to trust God in the midst of war'.

    I appreciated the way you handled the Judges text this morning. As I read the story of Sisera and Jael I see an awful lot of "nod, nod, wink, wink" in the story. Until now I haven't been able to look beyond that to find the message. Thanks for helping me to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are correct, Randy, that there is something being implied in the Jael/Sisera exchange. I know you think it is connected to the milk, but I see it more in the "turn aside to me" and covering him with a rug in the tent business.
    Here's the text in Ruth, which has a similar encounter between Ruth and Boaz. “I am Ruth, your servant; spread your cloak over your servant, for you are next-of-kin.”

    ReplyDelete