October 15, 2009

Texts:
1 Kings 1-2
Psalm 55


Welcome to First Kings! Originally, 1st and 2nd Kings were one text, as was 1st and 2nd Samuel.
In any case, they are compilations of many sources over time to tell the story of Israel, and to tell that story with a particular emphasis--how did the moral and religious failure of the leaders of Israel lead to a loss of national unity (and the division into Israel and Judah), autonomy, and identity.

These books come from the tradition of the Deuteronomistic writers.

Psalms:
The psalms are often easier for me to appreciate if I imagine the scenario in the life of the Psalmist that led to the writing of each psalm.
What was going on in his life that he said these things?
What is the psalm I would write based on what is going on in my life right now?
Is there a time when this psalm described a situation in my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment